Saturday, March 1, 2008

Dreams Underfoot

This is my first book for the Cardathon challenge and my first post so I hope I'm doing it right and posting in the right place!

The list of suggested titles for this challenge says, 'Anything by Charles De Lint', so this anthology by him qualifies quite nicely.



This is the book many fans of De Lint's 'Newford' series suggest you start with if you're going to read this urban fantasy series. I don't know if that's right or wrong, only that it seemed to give me an excellent introduction to the people that inhabit this universe.

'Newford' is a city, peopled by all kinds of weird and wonderful characters who recur and are connected throughout the books. Christy Riddell, a writer and collector of folk tales and myths, is a focal point but so is a friend of his, Jilly Coppercorn, who is close to Christy's brother, Geordie. Their friends come into it and there are many stand alone stories but always there is a link somewhere. And always there are fantastic things going on that shouldn't be real but just might be...

It sounds confusing but I can promise you it's not. If anyone had told me I would read and love urban fantasy this much I would have laughed at them, but I do! The stories encourage a laid-back sort of enjoyment that you don't often come across - Alexander McCall Smith is another such author - you just feel as though you don't want to rush them, which is why I've taken two months to read this book. Anyway, I certainly plan to read a lot more in this series and am so pleased to have discovered it.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Sounds interesting. I've never read any Charles De Lint. But when I read "if anyone had told me I would read and love urban fantasy this much I would have laughed at them" it made me want to try. :) We'll see as the challenge progresses. So many books, so little time. But thanks for the review!

Cath said...

My pleasure. I'll be reading more De Lint (and some OSC) this year and will be sure to report back. I know what you mean about 'so many books' though... 8-S