Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Megan Whalen Turner

Megan Whalen Turner's young adult fantasy series was recommended by OSC, and it deserves every word of praise he gave it. The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia all follow the life of Eugenides, a young thief who later becomes a king, somewhat against his desire.

The thing that struck me most about these novels, particularly the latter two, is the risk the author took. She addresses some fairly mature situations, and while I'm not a fan of dumbing things down or sugarcoating them for children, I'm surprised that she was able to explore them so successfully within the framework of a young adult novel.

She handles characters and emotions skillfully, and her plots are excellent. I only wish I knew if the rumours that she's planning to continue the series are true. These were my second read for this challenge, and the first reviewed by Card. So far, it seems he has good taste!

(I wrote more detailed reviews of each of the three books at my blog: The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i need facts