Monday, September 24, 2007

Uncle Orson

There are books that have such a powerful impact that it's not enough to remember them -- you have to reread them.

My rereading list -- or "ReBooks" for short -- has long included Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and Asimov's Foundation, the former on a five-year schedule and the latter about every ten years.

Other ReBooks made the list mostly because I wanted to share them, aloud, with my kids as they came to the right age: Lewis's Narnia series, for instance.

Gone with the Wind used to be a ReBook for me, but it has been at least twenty years now so maybe it has slipped off the list. My childhood favorites, Dawn's Early Light and Yankee Stranger, the first two books in Elswyth Thane's Williamsburg series, are still ReBooks for me and my mother, though I don't know how many others would regard them the same way.

No comments: